As part of the Liget Budapest Project, the reconstructed, former Olof Palme House is opened as House of the Hungarian Millennium. This is the oldest building in the City Park (or Városliget) and it is one of its most precious monuments. The House of the Hungarian Millennium is a symbol of the Liget Budapest Project, becoming a real community meeting place, connecting the park with the arts The name of the house is a direct reference to the era and time when the Hungarian celebrated the 1,000 year anniversary of the establishment of the Hungarian state, i.e. 1896.
The House of the Hungarian Millennium hosts an interactive exhibition about the so called ‘Golden Age’ of Budapest. The ‘Golden Age’ refers to the years between 1867-1914, the bustling cultural life of late 19th century-early 20th century Budapest. During these years a metropolis was born,and local bourgeoisie got established. This thriving and prosperous city became one of Europe’s leading capitals. The atmosphere and spirit of the House of the Hungarian Millennium represents a harmony between fine and applied arts, history and heritage, literature and gastronomy meeting the expectations of today’s visitors.
Things to do and see:
- The House is a cultural centre with wide variety of programmes and events;
- The building is a gem of the City Park, renovated in its old splendour with decorations of Zsolnay ceramics;
- The interactive exhibition presents the history of the City Park. From Autumn 2020 a new exhibition can be visited staging the ‘Golden Age’ of Budapest;
- The restaurant, café and terrace uniquely merge turn of the century glory, high level culinary treats and 21st century gastronomy technology. During summer time guests can enjoy a shady terrace under the trees of the City Park;
- The Auditorium is a place for thematic popular science and educational films, a film club, cultural programmes;
- The House’s museum education services offer children and family programmes connected to the themes and artefacts of the exhibition;
- The House welcomes events either for a family celebration or for a business meeting. The heritage setting with high level catering and hospitality ensures guests with one-of-a-king atmosphere and experience.